Sunday, July 17, 2011

How running became a part of who I am...

Today was one of those bliss filled days where a seven mile run turned into a nine mile run because it simply felt good.  I’m not sure if it was the temperature, scenery, feet finally falling into a perfect rhythm, or relaxed breathing but today’s run gave me the time to reflect on why I run and what it means to me.  Today I realized that I’ve been running for five years now.  Who knew that an innocent phone call from a friend in 2007 challenging me to try the couch to 5K program  would turn me in to somebody who has completed 28 small runs, 11 half marathons, and 1 full marathon…somebody who has run in five different states and on 2 islands. 

I consider myself an average joe. I’m not artistic, athletic, or talented.  When I realized that I didn’t have trophies, plagues, certificates, or awards from my childhood to show my children I was disappointed.  Running has now changed that.  Years from now when my children or grandchildren ask me what I was like at their age, I imagine myself grabbing a cane, climbing an old rickety ladder into an attic where I will grab a small box filled with my running mementos. Thanks to running I will now have trophies, photos, medals, and a coveted beer stein to show them.  I will proudly explain to them that although I was never first in a race, I was happy that I finished and always did MY best.

Running has also given back to me.  No, I’m not talking about blackened toe nails, blisters, bowel issues or chaffing in unmentionable places.  I’m talking about pride, a sense of being, and an outlet to relief stress.  (When I find myself being crabby around my family I know that it is time to go for a run to clear my mind and emotions.)  I am blessed to have shared running with my spouse, offspring, sibling, sister-in-law, nephew, co-worker, and friends from high school and college.  Running has blossomed old friendships into new running buddies. It has turned an acquaintance into a cherished running partner. I realize that not everybody I know will love running, or even be willing to give it a try. I am fine with that, but I hope they know that, if interested, it will be a great pleasure of mine to accompany any of them during their first 5K race.

Ever since I got my first medal from a race (a medal that is given to every finisher) there has been a part of me that has always wanted to take a Michael Phelps inspired photo. I’m sure you can all conjure up the image of the Sports Illustrated cover of him with his eight Olympic medals.  I can finally fulfill that desire.  I will never be an Olympian or come close to his athletic caliber, but by golly I can at least enjoy the personal gratification of eight of my own medals hanging around my neck.

After two more half marathons this fall (which will bring my total to 13) I will have to come up with a new running goal. I am not sure what it will be yet, but I am sure I will have plenty of inspiring runs like today that will help me come up with something.  

Enjoy and happy running. 




No comments:

Post a Comment